Purchasing wine on line can be a rewarding experience, but it does have its pitfalls.
- On line shopping for your wine gives you a much wider selection than what you would find at your local grocery or liquor store.
- By shopping for wine on line you can do some research and look for reviews on the wines, the vineyards and the bottlers and see what others think of them. Many online retailers request that customers review their purchases, some even offering discounts on future purchases for reviewing a wine. Another feature of on line wine shopping is that many stores have forums where people discuss the different vintages offered. If you can’t find a forum on the site you are looking at then browse around and find some generic sites that are simple dedicated to wine lovers, you are very likely to find someone there that can answer any questions you may have.
- Discounts are usually available on line especially if you purchase multiple bottles, several of the retailers will frequently offer great deals of mixed packages of different wines in the hopes of enticing you to try new varieties.
- Once you’ve decided on a vintage you can do a little on line sleuthing and find the best deal in a matter of minutes.
- Door to door delivery is a fantastic reason to make your purchase online. The vendor handles the packaging and shipping and you have no need to lug the heavy and awkward bottles home. Many retailers give discounted or even free shipping if you purchase a minimum requirement.
- The selection available online can be overwhelming, you may want a Chardonnay, but you are suddenly finding yourself presented with a selection of hundreds rather than a mere handful.
- There is no one tending shop who can offer recommendations or steer you away from a bad vintage. You must do all research yourself which can be time-consuming and frustrating.
- The only discounts offered are the in-store sales, and rarely do you get a discounted price for purchasing multiple bottles.
- You have no way to shop around to find a better deal on your chosen wine unless you start driving or calling. Comparison shopping for wine can take hours of your time and waste valuable fuel.
- Wine purchases must be made in advance and future events must be planned. You must wait for your purchases to be delivered to you before you can have it with dinner.
The advantages and disadvantages are about even but need to taken into account when buying wine on line. It’s entirely up to you which way you prefer.